Brij Rama Palace is located banks of the Darbhanga Ghat in Varanasi (or Kashi) in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, on the banks of the holy River Ganges. Sarnath is only about 10 km away, where Buddha preached his first sermon after enlightenment.
Things to know
- The nearest airport is the Lal Bahadur Shastri Airport (formerly known as the Varanasi airport), located in Babatpur, which is 26 km away from the city of Varanasi.
- After guests arrive at the airport, they will need to head to the Mahishasura Ghat (also known as Rajghat) where they will be transported to the Darbhanga ghat in a traditional wooden boat via a 25-minute boat ride.
- The hotel is strategically located just off the Dashashwamedh Ghat, which is famous for its grand Ganga Aarti in the evening, while the roof terrace views are fantastic for sweeping views of the ghats and the Ganges.
- The hotel offers guests a chance to dine on a riverboat floating in the middle of the river with the hotel’s chefs in attendance who curate a special meal while riding the waters.
- The restaurants serve vegetarian fare and do not serve alcohol owing to the location of the hotel in the holy city.
- Perfect for Indophiles and experiential travellers looking to explore the heritage and culture of the oldest inhabited living city in the world.
Rooms & Suites
The accommodation comprises 32 rooms and suites in five categories rooted in traditional charm and adorned with Benarasi furnishings and fresco-painted ceilings. The rooms are spread over three floors and can be accessed through sun-lit corridors; each category offering a distinct character. Some rooms offer 180-degree views of the river, while the superior rooms feature bathrooms that offer regal claw-foot bathtubs overlooking the Ganges. Room amenities include air conditioning, Wi-Fi, and tea/coffee facilities.
Restaurants & Bars
There are multiple dining options to choose from including an exclusive multi-cuisine fine-dining vegetarian option that’s famous for its three-course Benarasi thaali. At the Chota Aangan, guests are served delectable Indian fusion fare in an atmosphere fit for the Maharaja. At the Bada Aangan lounge, guests are treated to evening entertainment that includes flute and classical dance sessions. Apart from these venues, the hotel offers specialty dining at various unique locations including the picturesque terrace as well as a floating river boat.
Spa & Wellness
The Kashi wellness spa offers a range of wellness programs rooted in ancient wisdom and inspired by the Vedas. Guests can opt for Ayurvedic therapies including Shirodhara, beauty and relaxation and rejuvenation therapies. Sunrise yoga is offered on the rooftop terrace, a great spot to witness surreal sunsets.
At the BrijRama hotel, the guest encounters multi-sensory experiences of Varanasi – from early morning boat rides across the Ganges to the iconic Ganga aarti at the Dashashwamedh Ghat (where several priests perform the ceremonious light offering to the holy river) and flute and dance sessions in the courtyard to high-tea at the terrace. Guests can get traditional Mehendi art with henna in the afternoons or opt for a guided temple tour to explore the city of temples.
Sustainability and Responsible Tourism
The Brij Group of Hotels was inspired by Babu Brijpal Das Ji, a trailblazer in Indian tourism history and is now helmed by his great-grandchildren.
The group endeavours to celebrate local arts, crafts, culture and people across the hotels that are located in unexplored destinations. An important mission in the family has been to create an ecosystem for sustainable tourism.