Located in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu, Thanjavur lies around 300 km southwest of Chennai and 56 km east of Tiruchirappalli. Thanjavur is acclaimed as a prominent center of South Indian art, architecture, and heritage and is synonymous with the UNESCO World Heritage site of The Great Living Chola Temples.
Things to know
- The nearest airport is Tiruchirappalli International Airport (60km from Thanjavur), although not many International airlines operate this route, domestic flights to Tiruchirappalli may be via Chennai.
- The restaurant serves vegetarian fare using mostly organic and local produce
- Svatma offers long-stay guests eight signature experiences, curated to allow meaningful engagement with the land, its culture, traditions, and art. These include cultural trips, concerts, guided walks, and traditional shows.
- All rooms and restaurants are air-conditioned.
- Other facilities and experiences include: a fitness centre, Wi-Fi, outdoor pool, Yoga lessons, cooking demonstrations, and disabled access.
- Children are welcome. Perfect for Indophiles looking to explore the heritage and culture of Tamil Nadu.
Rooms & Suites
Svatma’s founder, architect, and dancer Krithika Subrahmanian spent seven years restoring and designing the 38-room property. The property and the rooms are tastefully adorned with murals of dancers, intricately carved wooden furniture, architectural drawings of Chola-era structures, and religious verses. The heritage structure which is over a hundred years old has seven rooms while the new wing or the Millennium wing which mirrors the design aesthetics of the heritage wing houses the rest of the rooms divided into three categories: Millennium Deluxe, Millennium Premium, and Millennium Suite. Just like the rooms of a large family home, each of the stunning tastefully designed rooms are unique.
Restaurants & Bars
Svatma houses two restaurants, Aaharam (meaning food or nutrition in Tamil) which looks out to the pool and Palaharam (meaning snacks) offers local short eats and European vegetarian fare. While there’s a set menu, the elaborate fare is pre-plated and served in thalis. Guests are also welcome to the kitchen to observe and participate in the cooking process or sign up for cooking demonstrations to learn authentic recipes and techniques of cooking local cuisine. The rooftop bar, Nila, serves a selection of beverages, wine and cocktails on the terrace under the stars.
Spa & Wellness
The hotel has a Gym and Yoga center with trained and experienced tutors. A luxury Siddha Spa, Soukyam offers revitalizing wellness massages and treatments under the expert advice of an experienced wellness consultant. There is also a sound spa known as Svaram that offers deep relaxation sessions with acoustic massages and healing vibrations and sounds.
Svatma is an inspiring place and evokes a multi-sensory experience of Thanjavur: from the chants of the Vedas to traditional chamber concerts and culinary classes to music and dance performances. Guests also have the opportunity to connect with local craftsmen, guides, and chefs for a number of experiences. They can visit neighbourhood weavers for intricate handloom demonstrations, watch a master sculptor demonstrate the Chola bronze casting, explore the intricacies of the Thanjavur style of painting, or partake in a guided tour of the ancient monuments including the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Great Living Chola Temples.
Sustainability and Responsible Tourism
Svatma supports the Marabu Foundation in Thanjavur that promotes peace and harmony through Fine arts, traditional arts, and literature. While it works with the local underprivileged children, the Foundation also helps reviving Thanjavur’s 4,000-year-old arts and crafts tradition, community development, and responsible tourism.